Thursday, January 12, 2006

 

Bartlett Yarns - Fisherman's Bulky

These are the yarns I've been using to make the roll-brim hats I talked about previously. I absolutely love working with them. They're made by Bartlett Yarns in Harmony, Maine. Bartlett makes a line of Fisherman yarns that are lanolin-rich for softness and weather resistance. The lanolin also makes my hands feel wonderful after knitting with them. Go take a gander at the Bartlett web site. It's a cool, very old, small business that will accept raw fleeces from people who own sheep and spin them into yarn. There's also a discussion of spinning methods that I thought was really interesting.

These yarns are spun on the "woolen system" for a traditional homespun appearance, softer twist, and more "bloom" than worsted-spun yarns. Each 4 ounce/80 yard skein retails for $6 and knits to 3 st/in using #10-1/2 needle. (I've used a US size #13 on the hats I've knitted.)

I've worked with these colors. (I'm playing with html, and if you hover your cursor over each photo, the color name should display) I also have a Lilac color and a color I'd call "Army Sheeps" which were not pictured on the website.
Spruce HeatherDenimBarkBurgundyMedium SheepsGarnet Heather

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?