Tuesday, January 24, 2006

 

The bear hood is nearly a FO!

Serious progress on the bear hood last night! I got some different yarn to use for the ear fronts and knit both of them. I also knit the second ear back and knit and attached both the ties. All that’s left is to sew the ears on and weave in ends!

The pattern was Russian Winter by Kathy Bateman, in Stitch ‘N Bitch Nation.

For the main color I used two strands held together of Crystal Palace Shag (45% wool, 45% acrylic, and 10% polyamide; 57 yds/50 gr) in color 7194, lot 930518A4. This yarn is to be handwashed and dried flat or dry cleaned.
7194 Otter I followed the directions for the hood exactly as written and used US 10 ½ needles. As suggested in the pattern, I bound off using US 15 needles to make sure it was nice and loose. This project was my first time picking up stitches, and that was a little tricky—I don’t think I’ve developed the right twitch of my wrist to catch the stitches easily just yet.

For the ear backs, I used two strands held together of the main color. I wanted the ears to be just a twitch bigger, so I modified the pattern as follows:
CO 10
P 10
K 10
P 10
K2tog, k6, ssk (8 stitches)
P8
K8
P2tog, p4, p2tog (6 stitches)
K6
P6
K2tog, k2, ssk (4 stitches)
K2tog, K2tog
Bind off and pull end through remaining stitch

For the ear fronts I bought some Sensations Angel Hair (22% wool, 50% acrylic, 28% nylon; 120 yds/100 gr) in color MUL647/Posy, Posylot#254. (Unfortunately, I was confined to the selection at Joann because my LYS was closed at 8:30pm on a Monday night when I just *had* to get yarn to finish this project.) This yarn feels silky, and just how I wanted to ear linings to feel. However, it is a royal pain to work with, as it is very slippery and splits easily. I certainly wouldn’t have been happy working with it for more than the little bits required to finish the ears. I slightly modified the ear front pattern as follows:
CO 10
P 10
K 10
P 10
K 10
P 10
K2tog, k6, ssk (8 stitches)
P8
K8
P8
K2tog, k4, ssk (6 stitches)
Ssp, P2, P2tog
K2tog, k2tog
P2tog
Pull end through remaining stitch

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?