Wednesday, January 11, 2006

 

Bulky Roll Edge Hat

When I was visiting my mom in Belfast, Maine for Thanksgiving last year, I stopped by the LYS. They were having a special on some super bulky yarn. Along with the yarn, the shop owner was offering a free pattern for these hats. They're really quick and easy, and before I knew it, I'd knitted 5 of them. The first two were for my mom, in brown and lilac. Then a green one for my grandma and a tweedy color for grandpa. Then a rose colored hat for a friend's birthday. And now I think I'll make just one more, for another birthday. Photos to follow:

The pattern says to cast on 50 stitches, though I cast on 45 for mom's and grandma's. (Women in my family seem to have small heads). I did 48 stitches for my friend. And I've been doing 50 stitches for men's hats. I used a 16" circular #13 needle for the body of the hat, and then switched to size #11 dpns to finish the crown.

Since there are no copyrights or disclaimers on the pattern, I'll go ahead and copy it here:

Yarn/needles: Bulky weight yarn and 16" needles and DPNs to give a guage of approximately 2 1/2 stitches per inch.

Cast-on 50 stitches and connect. Work in the round in stockinette for approximately 8 inches.
(switch to dpns whenever necessary during the decreases)
First decrease round: Knit 3 stitches, knit 2 together
Second decrease round: Knit 2 stitches, knit 2 together
Third decrease round: Knit 1 stitch, knit 2 together.
Continue knitting 2 stitches together until 5 are left. Detach yarn and pull through remaining 5 stitches. Sew in end.

Couldn't be simpler!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?