Tuesday, January 10, 2006

 

Loose bind off

One of the other elements of wonkiness in my first moebius project is the bind off. It's necessary to bind off very loosely. Otherwise, the flow of your niftily shaped scarf-thing will be constricted.

At the recommendation of the class instructor, I used a purl-two-together bind-off. It's described here: http://www.skeinlane.com/knittingresources/newsletter/knowhow1.htm#Section_7

It's quite simple: Purl two stitches together. Then transfer the single resulting stitch back onto the left needle. Repeat.

With my relatively loose knit moebius scarf-thing, I discovered by way of trial and error (I started off binding off too tight) that I needed a bind off that was almost ridiculously loose. The best way I (finally) found to do this was to let the loop of the transferred purl stitch stretch long enough to allow the finished edge reach the length of the fabric before making each double purl stitch. I feared that would leave giant loopy stitches in the outer edge, but it didn't.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?