Monday, January 09, 2006

 

Moebius!

I learned a new knitting technique this weekend: moebius. I had read the introductory chapters to Cat Bordhi's book, a Treasury of Magical Knitting. But the descriptions actually sounded too easy. So I signed up for the Moebius Magic class at Skein Lane (http://www.skeinlane.com/classes/knitting.htm#Section_9) When I went home two hours later, I had cast on and completed several rows of my "scarf thing."

Essentially, moebius is all about the cast on. Once your stitches are on the needle and you're half way around, it's just a matter of circular knitting. But the cast-on is strange. It's so deceptively simple, that the hardest part is keeping track of how many stitches you've already cast on--it goes FAST.

The first row of knitting looks strange. And very loose. So loose, in fact, that I created tons of extra stitches to try and fill in where I thought I'd left "holes". I think I cast on around 110 stitches, but my finished "scarf thing" had nearly 190. oops.

The finished object isn't a treasure. That's due to using variegated acrylic boucle yarn, and also to my glitches in the cast on. But I'm now confident I can do another moebius project. Next time will be with more thought to the design and better selection of fiber.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?